Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Occupational Hazard #14 - Kids will think "When Mom was young..... she wasn't as cool as she thought she was."

Recently, KT has added the following phrases (and others like it) to her vocabulary:


  • "That's so cool"
  • "That's so awesome"
At first, I chuckled and thought that it was "so cool" to hear her saying these things.   Usually, she's talking about a toy she saw on tv or in a store.   Sometimes, she is referring to an app on my iPad or her iPod touch.   Other times, it's can be referring to clothes or makeup or shoes..... she's pretty girly.   

A few occasions recently, I have pointed out something that I thought was "so cool" and quickly found out that she didn't have the same feelings.   She may say, "that's not cool, that's for babies" or "that's not cool, that's for boys."  Clearly defining that she knows what's cool and mom does not.  

This made me think about me as a pre-teen (I know KT is only almost 4, but seriously, she may as well be pre-teen).   The other day, KT asked me if she could shave her legs and arms because there's hair on them.  I told her to "wait till she was in kindergarten."  She promptly told my mother that I said she could shave her legs in kindergarten...which sparked a NOT cool conversation with my own mother.

Anyway, I can remember being a kid and when my mom mentioned things that she did as a kid that were "cool" or boys that were actors that the girls thought were "cool."  In most cases, I couldn't imagine that these things or those people could EVER be seen as "cool."   That was never going to happen with Katie.  Obviously, I'm awesome and I exude "cool."

I thought about actors that were "cool" when my mom was a kid or young adult...  then I thought about the actors/athletes that I used to think were "cool."  For the most part here, "cool" describes guys that I found to be attractive as a preteen/teenager and beyond...

Here are a few that came to mind:













My daughter is going to tell all of her friends that I'm DEFINITELY not "cool" and that I was once obsessed with mullets.



Perhaps, that's what inspired my all-time best Halloween Costume ever: Joan Dirt






1 comment:

  1. This is a Killer blog! ;-)

    Joan, you ARE cool. And when KT is older, she'll be like Rachel is now, where "there's no way dad could have ever been cool." ... and to a degree she'll be right. In HS, I was never one of the cool kids ~ I saved all my awesomeness for my 20's and 30's.

    Unfortunately, I used it all up before Rachel was old enough to see it. We took pictures and videos, however, they don't seem to be as effective as I thought they'd be. Considering the pictures you posted above, I'm going to go out on a limb and mention, you might have the same problem.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete