Thursday, June 14, 2012

Occupational Hazard #3 - Truth - Your kids are hysterical, especially when they don't try it

I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "I like my dog better than I like most people."   I have a dog.  Well, I sort of have a dog.  She's a golden retriever.  She's 6.  She lives with my mom, dad and sister right now....   maybe forever?  I don't know.   My pup was definitely my baby.  She was our baby.   Then we HAD a baby.....  She was still a family member, but our job situation changed and my parents helped us out.... anyway, that's not the point of this story.   Dogs are comforting and it's rewarding to have this pup love you NO MATTER what.....     life is good.  life is fun...........then you have a kid.....     for me (and I'm an animal lover, I really am), the amount that I like my kid(s) more than most people, has grown exponentially in comparison to how much I liked Stoli more than I liked people.

Today, we got two goldfish.   Last week, my sister took KT to the school where we attended elementary school.   They were celebrating their annual festival....rides, games, food, etc etc.  Apparently, they had tried over and over to win a damn goldfish, and didn't succeed.  My sister asked, "Can we just buy one?"  The kid gave her a card for 2 free goldfish at a store near our house that specializes in all sorts of fish.  I'm sure she'll be glad to know that the fish cost 24 cents a piece at the store.  I am certain she paid at least $2 per game...ha.

We had to stop by the pharmacy to pick up KT's 700th round of antibiotic eye drops first.  On our way there, she asked if we were at the fish store.  I said we had to go to the pharmacy first, and then we'd go afterwards.   She said, "I'm going to name my goldfish........ ummmmm (I thought, this should be good) Goldie."  I said, "You get 2.  Are you naming them both Goldie?"

After about 2 seconds of thought, she said, "OK, I will name one Goldie and onnnnneeeeeee Lost and Found."     I repeated it as to confirm that's what she said..... she said, "yep."  My answer was, "OK.  They're your fish."

The good thing about this pet store is that they have all sorts of animals...reptiles..rodents...cats...dog...fish, so it's almost like a trip to a mini mini zoo....for free.... well, today it was 3 cents.  We got the 2 free fish, but had to pay the tax of 3 cents..........   which of course, I didn't have 3 pennies on me.   I handed the girl my debit card and she so graciously found 3 cents on her cash register....

We were out the door....with our new friends....Goldie and Lost and Found.



Random craziness that comes out of her mouth every day has me laugh and laugh.   I have been told that I'm a funny person, but I'm more of the "sarcastic comment/quick jab/peculiar funny" type of person.

3 year old kids are a type of funny that can not be duplicated/replicated/imitated.  This type of funny is worlds funnier than someone that makes an effort or tries to make others laugh.  Their innocence is more entertaining than any comedian out there.   The challenge is laughing when it's "ok."  Sometimes, they are being so damn sincere and the fact that we burst out in pure laughter is taken as an insult....     This is how I look at parenting (thus far...anyway)

First few months --  feed/wipe/burp/bounce/rock
Infant -- fun once they start to smile/crawl/play
Beginning Toddler - So cute/so fun
18 months - hell
Twos -- They say they are terrible, but I actually enjoyed them
Threes -- a constant negotiation, exhausting, not as easy to distract, tricky, but can be ridiculously rewarding and funny at the craziest times

To see some of the other funny stuff my KT says, be sure to follow her on Twitter @k8e_kay

I don't always get to Blog about some of the stuff she says, so I try to Tweet a crazy phrase or 2 as they surface.


No comments:

Post a Comment