Friday, August 17, 2012

Occupational Hazard #10....... Just when you think you're connecting, they throw that theory out the window.

KT is 3 1/2 and for as long as I remember, she's been pretty quick to understand a lot of what I say.  In fact, life with BG (now 11 months old) is sometimes a splash of cold water in the face when I realize that while it seems like KT has been "with it" forever, it was only a short time ago where all of our "conversations" were 1 sided.  I can remember seeing friends post crazy things about what their kids said on facebook and was anxious for those "conversations" to become more of a 2 way process, instead of me just talking to my wall precious little child.

I decided that it was time to get KT a hair cut with some significant choppage.   Our friend has been cutting her hair since she was a tot, and has done trims each time.   I figured that it would be fun to take KT to a "salon" where she could experience the pampering and have fun with it.   She did great.   We cut about 4 inches off of her head, got her a new barrette and a fresh paint job on her nails.   Twenty bucks and 25 minutes later, we were in the car and headed over to my parents to show Grammy the new do.

My mother was unsure for a long time as to what she wanted KT to "call" her.   She didn't want Grandma or Nan/Nanny.    For the longest time, she wanted to be called "Your Highness," but that didn't stick.   Finally, she chose "Grammy."  When KT learned to talk, Grammy became "Bammy" and that stuck for quite some time.   After she got the hang of the "GR" sound, Bammy kind of went to the wayside and Grammy was used in full force.

KT has 2 little friends that call at least one of their Grandmas, "Nanny."   A few times, KT has decided to call my mom "Nanny" and I know that she doesn't like it.  Usually, she answers and just goes on her way, but today we were leaving my mom's house and KT said, "Bye Nanny."  My mom said, "I'm Grammy."   Immediately, she busted out her pouty lip, looked down and looked as sad as could be.   She said, "But I never had any Nanny.   I am sad I don't have a Nanny."   I rolled my eyes and explained to her (for the 3 billionth time), "You have a Grammy.   M* and I* have a Nanny, but don't have a Grammy."

That didn't work. "But I'll NEVER have a Nanny.  I never had a Nanny before."

I said, "KT, Nanny, Grammy, Grandma, Nan and, Bammy are all the same thing.  They all mean Grandma."

KT: "Oh, so they're the same fing?  Nanny, Grammy and Grandma?"

ME: "Yes, KT.   They're all the same thing.   They just are different names for the same thing."

KT: "OK.  (actually sounding as if all was ok).  Is Grandpa the same fing as Grandma?"

ME: "Well, no.   Grandma, Grammy and Nanny all are for the woman grandparent and Grandpa and Pap are the same thing for the man grandparent."

KT: "Oh, OK.   Pap and Grandpa are the same fing?   Pap is your daddy and he's my Pap.   Grammy is your Mommy and she's my Grammy."

ME: "Yes, and Grandma Barb is your Grandma and Daddy's Mommy.  I called my Grammies 'Grandma.'   I used to call my Pap/Grandpa 'Pop Pop'"

KT: "Pop Pop?!  That's a silly name."

ME: "Pop Pop was Pap's Daddy.   We just always called him Pop Pop instead of Pap or Grandpa."

KT: "POP POP!? I Like to call clowns 'Pop Pop.'"

ME:   ::::::::  Deep sigh/hung my head:::::::::::

KT  said this with both laughter and seriousness.   As if I was off my rocker to call my Grandfather "Pop Pop" and as if it was normal to call clowns "Pop Pop."

Oh well.....  I am not sure how much of that conversation was retained.   I guess I should just get used to not seeing eye to eye.   I am sure that we won't see eye to eye on MANY more conversations before she leaves for college.

At least we had a successful haircut today...


No comments:

Post a Comment