Friday, December 14, 2012

Occupational Hazard #17.......... Difficult Days

I write this blog primarily as a tongue in cheek interpretation of the insanity that goes on in our day to day lives as Mommies....

My husband and I were getting ready to go to KT's preschool Christmas Play (her first one ever) this morning when the most unthinkable act I have experienced in my lifetime occurred.  No one really knows the fine details yet, but the bottom line is a 20 year old kid walked into an elementary school in Connecticut today and killed innocent kids, teachers and a principal.   20 children were rushed off to school this morning and those 20 kids aren't home tonight.  Those kids probably have stockings and gifts waiting for them and ornaments on trees at their homes....    I can't even begin to grasp the idea.  I am so upset for these poor families....  I've never met them.  I don't know these kids.  I've never even been to Connecticut.  However, I'm a mom.    You automatically go to that dark place.   What if that was my kid?   You don't want to think about it, but you do.   My heart is absolutely broken.

I can remember 9/11... I was 21.  I wasn't a parent.  I was terrified.... terrified for myself.   The terror that I felt today, terror for my children.   Knowing that there is going to come a time where I have to trust that they'll be safe.  At one time, this would be when they start driving, or when they go off to college or when they're on their own....   This would have never been and SHOULD not be elementary school.  I really have nothing to say, other than I'm heart broken.

With that -- today I'm thankful for:

  • whining
  • teething
  • colic
  • stomach bugs
  • temper tantrums
  • fighting sleep
  • clingy kids
  • 3 million questions
  • picky eaters
  • embarrassing questions
  • less time with my friends
  • stressing about work/home life balance
  • dirty diapers
  • packing lunches
  • baby/kid laundry
  • ear infections
  • dr appts
  • physical/occupational therapy
  • toys all over my house
  • constantly having dirty dishes in my sink
  • bundling kids up in hats/gloves/winter coats
  • mismatched kid socks
  • taking 30 extra minutes to get out of the house each day
  • baby hugs
  • baby kisses
  • baby giggles
  • dancing baby/kids



1 comment: